Sunday, April 19, 2009

DC Roller Girls!


I remember watching bits and pieces of the Roller Derby TV show that was on in the 80's. It was a mix between American Gladiators and professional wrestling. My parents didnt allow me to watch it, along with Dukes of Hazzard. Needless to say, I saw it from time to time and also wondered why I wasn't allowed, it wasn't any worse than watching the WWF cage matches...I included a video of the 80's Roller Derby if you dont know what I am refering to.



It seems that the Roller Derby has slowly been reemerging. I know that many major cities have Roller Girl leagues. I think it is more of an underground sport with a cult like following, kind of like a bowling league, but with more sex appeal.

I somehow stumbled upon the DC Roller Girls website and saw that they had a match coming up and decided to check it out. It ended up actually be a good time and had a descent size crowd. At $12, tickets werent exactly cheap, but I suppose renting the DC Armory doesnt come cheap either. With player names like "Speedy Gonbraless", "Killary Hittin" and "Scarlet O’Snap", it was bound to be an interesting expeirence.

I had fun...time flew by and it was great people watching. It wasn't nearly as violent as the original Roller Derby, actually, it wasn't violent at all. All in all, it made for a good new experience. The only bad thing was the arena lighting...Im not a fan of using a flash and it made it very hard to get shots that werent blurry and in focus. I may have to go back for the next match and try a few new things out.

The rest of my Roller Dery pictures can be seen here: http://www.framehousephotography.com/dcrollergirls

Information on the DC Roller Girls can be found here: http://www.dcrollergirls.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment